Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Truth Tuesday: Words & Actions Can Hurt!

Hey everybody hope your week went well. It is so cold in Philly; we are have blizzards, wind and BS!! I wish I had the money to go to the beach somewhere, have a nice fruity drink and get warm. My week went ok, nothing but the normal looking for jobs, no one calling me, you know the usual. There was, however a little bit of a incident last Wednesday that I wanted to talk about. So me and a special friend  went to I Hop because we wanted to hang out together grab a bite; I love pancakes and they love me. So as we where eating, there were some younger kids that sat across from us that decided to take pics of me and my friend. Now me and him are both big and I am assuming that's why they were talking pics. I honesty didn't think anything of it at first, I thought it was stupid of them to be taking a picture of us eating, also I didn't realize that people still make fun of big people out loud only because in my personal experience I haven't had to deal with this type of thing since high school. I felt like we are big so what, we still look good. As the day went on I became concerned. It didn't bother me that they were making fun of me (I was more concerned at how did the picture turn out, I hope my shirt was down in back, I look pretty nice that day) but I was feeling some type of way that they were making fun of him. I thought we were having ok time and then those kids ruined it. I don't want myself or anyone I care about to feel uncomfortable. My friend was cool about it but I thought that was so mean and immature. I have gotten over the situation since then but it reminded me of when I was younger in middle school and high school when I was made fun of for being a big girl. Back then I would go home and cry because words and actions can hurt. As I grew up I didn't have to deal with people openly saying rude things to me, I also realized that there were a lot of guys who like the thickness, and that I was also a bit of hypocrite. I talked about people looks too and when it came to men I had a type too, everyone has a preference. How could I be mad at somebody who don't like big girls when there are types of men that I don't like. How can I be mad at somebody for talking about me when I have talked about other people. I had to look at myself and change myself as well, which in a weird way made me less self conscious. Don't get me wrong STUFF STILL HURTS MY FEELINGS but I learned that it takes time and growth for people to change their ignorance. I noticed that the way you treat people, in some cases start with your parents. If they make fun of somebodies appearance then their children will. Other reason is that they want to fit in with the other kids everything is funny when you are trying to be in with the cool kids. The entertainment industry doesn't help either; there is nothing but smaller women on her t.v and computer screens. There are beautiful plus side women has well but you mostly see them as co-stars or used for comedy. Also   talking about other people makes you feel good about yourself and the things you have, due to our own insecurities. Even big girls make fun of big girls which makes no since at all to me!!!The way things are now a days makes me nerves to have children, I don't want anyone picking on them or putting them on social networks. All I can do is make sure that I teach them that hurting others with words and/or actions is wrong and maybe throw in some karate lessons just in case. Some people think that when big people such as myself ask for respect or try to step out into the forefront and make moves weather it be in television or fashion that we are encouraging others to be unhealthy. For heath reason I am trying to loose weight but am I suppose to hide until then, am I suppose to be talked about everyday until I loose weight, Hell no! I'm going to embrace the skin that I am in and continue to work hard to make myself better and grow in the fashion industry. I hope that more plus size movements start and continue to grow. The negative people are just going to have to deal with it. I do hope one day that every size and shape with one day feel comfortable in this world. Everything starts with us, if we change how we treat people and teach our children how treat people then slowly we will start to see a change; every little bit counts!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment